Search

I have the Keys to my Classroom, now what?!



I have the keys to my classroom, now what?!

I remember when I got my first classroom and several after that! No matter what grade you’re teaching, It’s exciting! I’m one of those teachers who looooves to decorate the bejeezus out of her room. Every year I pick a them and go from there. 

Truth is, your classroom is your letter of presentation! It is the first impression both students and parents, and colleagues have of you as a teacher. It is also your sacred space! You’ll spend more time in there that you will at home! Therefore, own it! Make it youir own and your children as well. 

I would suggest a few things that might help!

Advice #1:Organize the furniturein a way that will be most beneficial for the learning process with your students. group seating or Individual seating. 

Advice #2:Study the space in your classroom in order for you to showcase work for each content area. For example, as an elementary bilingual teacher I have a self-contained classroom in which I teach Language Arts (Word Work, Reading, and Writing), Math, Social Studies, and Science. I need to support my students’ learning by posting anchor charts, vocabulary, and examples of good work. This is why I try to set a particular space for each content, but in a way that does not look like it is taking a hold of the classroom. I label each area and leave space for my instructional charts, add a pocket chart for vocabulary, and space for one or two student samples. 

Advice #3:Pick a theme or color scheme and stick with it. Be aware not to put a plethora of things that don’t seem to go together because it is confusing.

Advice #4:Find a place for everything and keep it there; Organize it all! classroom resources. You will have instructional resources as well as student and teacher supplies. The easier it is for you and your students to find everything, the easier it will be to have transitions in your classroom and during your lessons. 

Besides resources, you will have to manage a serious amount of documents! In our line of work, every administrator will tell you: ‘Document everything!!!” Some people like to use technology for as much as possible but not everything is able to be in an App. In my case, I’m an old-fashioned kind of gal who keeps a Binder System. I like to have easy, accessible, concrete resources at hand organized in a way in which I can work with as I go or as requested. There are so many ways to help keep an organized classroom! But that’s another topic to explore! Winking face with no fill

Love,

AppleSuhaily

No comments

Post a Comment