Search

I Just Got a Teaching Job! Yeahhh!!



I just Got a Teaching Job! Yeahhh!

I remember when I got my first teaching job. Boy, was I nervous and excited! But to be honest, I had no idea what to do next. I had gone to school and had been a student my whole life but did not know how it would work with me on the front side of the classroom calling the shots.

To give out an idea, I was not told a thing and just got thrown into the sharks with no lifeguard. I had to survive all on my own. So, what did I do? I asked, observed, read books and articles, had initiative, and a strong sense work ethic. 

Ever since I’ve always wanted to help others not fell the way I felt. I found this platform and decided to help out a little and share experiences and practices that have helped me.

As a brand-new teacher, I would suggest a few things. In your private time, 

Advice #1:Familiarize yourself with the standardsof the subject you will be teaching. WAIT!! Don’t overwhelm yourself!! Work a unit at a time, especially if you are working more than one subject, learn the difference between your Readiness and Supporting Standards. While doing this think of ideas to plan your lessons in a way that works for you, keeping in mind the level of rigor you need to present to your kids. For this, make your campus iCoach one of your BFF’s. The iCoach will be able to help you understand the standards, find and access multiple resources, advice on good practices and offer ideas.

Advice #2: Befriend your colleagues, and by this I mean everyone on your campus! Be the person who makes a positive impact, the one who sheds a little light by starting with a smile and greeting everyone in your path. Every single person on that campus plays a very important part; from the office personnel who are the face of the school, to the Administration who runs the school, other teachers who share knowledge and experience, to the cafeteria staff and custodians who help keep the school nice, clean, and shiny. These people are your Allies!!!

Advice#3:Prepare your classroombefore all the trainings of the beginning of the school year. This way you will be relaxed during the trainings and not thinking that you need to prep your room before parents and students come to meet you. The needs of your classroom will depend on the grade and subject(s) you will be teaching. (We can chat about that later and more in depth! Winking face with no fill

Advice #4:Try to prepare lesson plans for the first two weeks. I know this may be a challenge but believe me when I say that everyone will be running like a chicken without a head trying to make copies, prepare materials, and have things ready for when the students come in. THIS IS THE BULK OF WHAT WE DO!! If you come in to your school year, prepared for those first two weeks, YOU WILL HAVE PEACE OF MIND!!! And, the school year will flow easier. Sat the beginning of the school year it will take you longer to prepare your plans because it takes a while for your brain to come back form “Vacation Mode”. However, once you are immersed in “Teaching Mode” it will come to you much easier. You will be able to establish your routine, and things will come naturally. Will you need help? Of course! We all do! Education is a Collaborative work! 

Advice #5:Have a clear set of routines, expectations, and discipline plan up and running for when the students come in. BE CONSISTENT!!!!! And, review them as much as necessary.

Advice #6:Get to know your Students(my kids, as I call them) and their parents.  Have the parents fill out an information sheet that will allow you to contact them easier and a questionnaire that allows you to get to know the students, their likes and dislikes. This will help you not only establish good relationships with them, but it also helps you incorporate those things into your plans and lessons, as well as knowing which parents can become your allies in the classroom, helpers, chaperones, etc. 

Advice #7:Teach from the heart!!!!!You will have the opportunity to influence lives!!!! Make the difference! Love your kids! Encourage them! Make them SOAR!! 

Teaching is hard work, but it is the most fulfilling job you’ll ever have!!!

Love,



No comments

Post a Comment