Search

Teaching Our Students About Thanksgiving Day

 Teaching Our Students About Thanksgiving Day



 

As we approach the month November, we start to get excited about all the celebrations that come ahead. This month we’ve got, THANKSGIVING!!!

 

I get really excited around this time because it means that Christmas is coming!!! Yeayyyyy!! 

 

I don’t know about you, but I love to celebrate with my kiddos!! I start planning activities and things for us to learn and do during these special occasions!

 

This time around, besides our “class potluck”, which as we all know we need to keep limited to individually wrapped items due to precautions more than ever; unfortunately, no class heavy meals, but we can still do things for our kiddos1!!  

 

Besides teaching my students the history behind Thanksgiving celebration; it is important for them to know and understand where traditions come from and how they evolve, I also like to do fun activities with them. Among some of these are creating crafts, which they love!! They also enjoy a good instructional coloring book, or coloring pages. I like to include there some vocabulary crossword puzzles, which keeps it fun (and they don’t even realize that they’re learning words and how to spell them correctly), and my coupe-de-gras… task cards!! 

 

I love task cards, and so do them!! They are a cute and fun way to teach and apply many skills!!

 

The resource I will be using with my kiddos this week is called “Celebrating Thanksgiving” is available in both English and Spanish and it includes all of the activities I have mentioned!

 

*    Vocabulary poster cards

*   Graphic Organizers

*    Identifying Symbols

*    Book about Thanksgiving

*    Vocabulary Crossword Puzzles

*    Thanksgiving Craft

*    Task Cards

 



Here are also aa few free coloring pages for your kiddos to enjoy! (Just click on the picture and they’re yours!!)! 

    

           

 

As a hint, when working with students who are below reading level, it is important to understand that they will need us to support them by reading the text, fostering discussion, and  providing additional accommodations in order for them to comprehend the topic and the information being discussed and learned. 

 

Love,

No comments

Post a Comment